Thursday, June 10, 2004

In Memoriam: Ronald Reagan

Via AMERICAblog:
Q: Larry, does the President have any reaction to the announcement - the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta, that AIDS is now an epidemic and have over 600 cases?

MR SPEAKES: What's AIDS?

Q: Over a third of them have died. It's known as "gay plague." (Laughter.) No, it is. I mean it's a pretty serious thing that one in every three people that gets this have died. And I wondered if the President is aware of it?

MR SPEAKES: I don't have it. Do you? (Laughter.)

Q: No, I don't.

MR SPEAKES: You didn't answer my question.

Q: Well, I just wondered, does the President -

MR SPEAKES: How do you know? (Laughter.)

Q: In other words, the White House looks on this as a great joke?

MR SPEAKES: No, I don't know anything about it, Lester.

Q: Does the President, does anybody in the White House know about this epidemic, Larry?

MR SPEAKES: I don't think so. I don't think there's been any -

Q: Nobody knows?

MR SPEAKES: There has been no personal experience here, Lester.

Q: No, I mean, I thought you were keeping -

MR SPEAKES: I checked thoroughly with Dr. Ruge this morning and he's had no - (laughter) - no patients suffering from AIDS or whatever it is.