Monday, January 12, 2004

Monday's Sunday Baseball Blogging

I'm delighted to report that "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" has been translated into Latin. The good kind of translation, too - faithful to the spirit of the original rather than slavishly devoted to word-for-word accuracy. And it rhymes both in Latin and in the back-translation to English:

Aufer me ad arenam.
Aufer me cum turba.
Da mihi glires sparsos melle.
Reditum domum non curo velle.
Pro leonibus exhortemur.
Nil refert hominum.
Duo, tria membra edent
gladiatorum.

Which, being interpreted, means:

Take me to the arena,
Take me out with the crowd.
Buy me some dormice in honeycomb
I don't care if I never go home.
So let's root, root, root for the lions
Not the humans they maim
Munching two, three more body parts
at our Caesar's game.

38 days until pitchers and catchers report, and then maybe you'll get some substantive baseball blogging. But seriously: I don't know what it is about fans of Latin that prompts them to translate just about anything into Latin, seemingly unprovoked. You don't see Ancient Sumerian hobbyists doing anything like that, do you?

(via Electrolite.)